Populations Served.

Females are 79% of our client base with males being the remaining 21% (majority are youth under 18 years of age).
 

 We serve over 350 individuals a year. This includes members of a variety of ethnic groups, ages 0-65+, males and females as well as pets fleeing from abusive homes. 
    

Service Area. 

 2014 ethnic demographics:
 
  • 64% Caucasian
  • 18% Hispanic/Latino
  • 9% Native American
  • 7% Asian/Pacific Islander
  • 2% African American
    

   
We serve Shelton, Belfair, Allyn, and all parts of Mason County including the Squaxin Island and Skokomish reservations; and individuals from Thurston, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Kitsap, Pierce counties and beyond.
    

Client Demographics

Most of our clients are of the no/low-income level. Few come to the Shelter gainfully employed.  Many rely on a variety of public assistance programs in addition to the services and shelter provided by Turning Pointe.
    

Of these individuals 29% were ages 0-18, 67% were 19-50 and 4% were 51 and over. 

Turning Pointe has long served many Native American clients including those from Tulalip, Muckleshoot, Puyallup, Squaxin Island, Skokomish and many other tribes.  We operate one of the biggest domestic violence shelters in the State.  We are one of the few shelters that welcome pets along with other family members fleeing abuse.   We work closely with the Skokomish Tribe to ensure that their members are housed in the shelter and provided service in a culturally appropriate manner.   We work with the South Puget Intertribal Planning Agency (SPIPA) on social service and other efforts.  We have traditionally worked with and served Squaxin Island tribal members since inception in 2000.